I grew up in Western New York, but have lived in the Mid-west now for almost 20 years.
These were my first observations:
- Seven lanes of road.
- Crazy drivers who will cut you off before they let you merge.
- Suburban spread into the rural areas.
- From the air Western New York looks like Wisconsin,
- The comfort of recognizing landmarks still there.
- Roads are known by their names, not letters or numbers.
- Fields of cabbages not soybeans, slightly more smelly.
- First stop: Wegmans Supermarket,
- Oh, yeah – you cannot buy wine in the grocery store here!
- New York State Aged Cheddar Cheese – Delicious!
- Best dinner choice: Beef on Weck. Yum! (only in Western New York)
- Lake Ontario is still huge
Home, and not home, all at the same time.