House Rhythms are Comforting, but maybe not Efficient

The last few days have been anything but routine at our house. I wrote the other day about our water well running dry. At this point, we are in the process of having a new well put in. It is a 6 inch casing instead of a 4 inch – the one we had was not appropriate for our house – or so we were told by this group of well diggers. Anyway, being without water has caused the rhythms of our home to be disrupted.

This morning, for the first time in years, we overslept! Not badly, but by about 40 minutes. One of my sons has been reporting to work by 6 a.m.. I heard him leave around 5:30 a.m.. I  was on the couch – my usual spot during episodes of insomnia. I had gotten up about 2: 15 a.m. after waking by 1:30 a.m.. Finally, I did fall asleep but do not know when. My husband got up early to go to the YMCA to swim and take a shower. We both meant to go last night but were too tired.  When I finally awoke, the house was quite and it was light out. I sat up with a start and tried to peer at the clock on the stove. Being very nearsighted, I could not see it. So, I bolted off the couch and went to the stove. Yup! We had overslept! It was the first time we overslept in years!

But, despite our quick start, we both got where we needed to be and our day proceeded as normal. Work was odd, I was the only one in the office. My coworkers were either off attending to personal obligations or in the field – it’s that time of year. But, I got a ton of work done efficiently and was very pleased when I left.

The last two afternoons have been spent in running back and forth to the laundromat since we cannot throw in a load of wash when desired. Again, it struck me how efficient this was. In two hours I had 3 loads of wash done, folded, and put in the respective owner’s room for them to put away.

In the evenings, I have gardened at home or at school, and then sped off to the YMCA for a quick shower since that is not possible at home.

Since our routine has been disrupted due to the lack of water, my writing routine has been disrupted as well. In truth, my writing – which used to be done first thing in the morning – now fits around everything else due to a new routine of getting up and out to go to work.  It’s been fine, but not ideal. My writing is not as well thought out as it has been in the past. Again, I think that is fine – as I have other fish to fry – which also includes some writing for work related tasks.

This time of year always brings transition. College terms end, students return home. High school studies and sports wind down, and the anticipation of a few days off returns with a longing that most teens will readily admit to dreaming  of for months.  I like routine. But, as our lives were disrupted with a dry well this week, new rhythms took place. Some of those new rhythms were enlightening. Some rhythms were more efficient that those routines that have become ingrained in our daily lives over years.

I only know that yesterday, I was happier than I have been in quite a while. Now, I just have to figure out why. I certainly do not want to go on living without access to water!

Prairie View of HSP 2019, CLabuzzetta 2019.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s